Monday, February 4, 2013

Cheese Before Bedtime: Embroidery Art by Amy Dawson


 


 


Amy Dawson from the Etsy store Cheese Before Bedtime brings us answers about her unique hand-stitched works of art, all the way from New Zealand. Make sure to like her Facebook page!!

What got you so interested in making embroidery into art? 

My stitching began a few years ago when I was asked to make a large piece of art for my sisters Birthday present. I was a little un-enthused by painting and wanted to do something a bit different. I had a light bulb moment (no doubt at night after a cheesy pizza) and decided to stitch a picture and wrap it around a canvas. After a lot of hours, needle pricks and all-nighters I got it done and thoroughly enjoyed the process (she liked it too!). From there it grew into making some stitching’s of my own and experimenting with processes as I went. Due to the time it takes to do each piece I decided to make smaller pieces that were more affordable and Cheese Before Bedtime was born.

What are your inspirations? 

I am inspired by interesting people in the streets, fashion blogs, kid’s blogs, hipster magazines and vintage sewing pattern illustrations .Or anything bright, cute and different!

Do you have a philosophy behind your work? 

I like to create quirky embroideries that are one of a kind and definitely not like your Nana would make. I love to use bright colours and unexpected fabric combinations. Most of all I want people to smile when they look at my work.

How did you come up with your shop name? 

I find that most of my inspiration comes just before I fall asleep. Sometimes I can lie awake for hours with images or new ideas running through my mind. I wanted a shop name that reflected that crazy, inspiring time for me. I love the myth that eating cheese before bedtime gives you funny dreams. I also liked the fact that it was a memorable name and could grow with my shop if I decided to expand into different products. 

Some of her favorite music at the moment: 

Sola Rosa - Turn around (feat. Iva Lamkum)

Powered by mp3skull.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© The Art Spectrum 2012 | Blogger Template by Enny Law - Ngetik Dot Com - Nulis